Mary Robinson, former President of Ireland, described people of Irish descent throughout the world as being the “Irish of the Diaspora.” This phrase recognises the right of the descendants of our people to regard themselves as truly Irish.
The forced emigration of the 19th century decimated our countryside. The population of Emly in 1841 was 4,400. At the beginning of the 21st century our population is less than 1000.
Emigration has been part of our history. The people who left brought Emly with them. Its name is remembered by their families. Its name appeared on many a tombstone and death notice in the English speaking world.
In recent years there has been a great upsurge of interest in the tracing of Irish roots. This has also been reflected in the number of enquiries coming to Emly.
TRACING YOUR ROOTS: The baptismal and marriage records in the parish of Emly go back to the early 19th century. All the 19th century baptismal and marriage records of parishes in the Archdiocese of Cashel and Emly are available at Tipperary Family History Research – www.tfhr.org
The Irish Census Records for 1901 and 1911 are now available online www.nationalarchives.ie
Griffith’s Valuation – A land survey done between 1847 and 1864 is also available on-line www.askaboutireland.ie . Older graveyard records for Emly are also available at historicgraves.com . Enquiries can also be made through Emly parish (email: firstname.lastname@example.org ).
EMIGRANT WALL: This wall was erected in August 2000 and honours the memory of those who were forced to leave our parish. The names of emigrants have been recorded on stone as a memorial to our people who made a new life for themselves far from Emly.
Families with roots in Emly are invited to have the names of their ancestors inscribed on this memorial stone. Each inscription entry will have a maximum of 40 characters (incl. spaces.)
Charge per entry €150 or $200 (U.S.) The families of our emigrants will always get a special welcome in Emly.
POP. of the PARISH: c. 820
POPULAR SURNAMES: Burke (Bourke), Ryan, Lonergan, McEniry.
LOCATION: 14km West of Tipperary Town, historical barony of Clanwilliam
Emly was established as an episcopal see in 1118 by the Synod of Ráth Breasail.